Stop your Pinterest search for tonight’s dinner recipe, because we have you covered! Not only is this Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe incredibly delicious, it is healthy and filled with nutritious protein & carbohydrates. This is a perfect meal to stay on track that leaves you feeling nourished and satisfied!
SERVING SIZE:1 halved pepper
TOTAL SERVINGS: 4-6 halved bell peppers (4-6 people)
2-3 bell peppers
1 cup quinoa (or brown rice)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato sauce (no sugar added)
1 cup black beans- rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb of organic lean ground turkey (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Cook quinoa-
First rinse the quinoa. Quinoa has a natural coating called saponin that can make it bitter or soapy, so rinsing it first is key! Some boxed quinoa is pre-rinsed, but it helps to rinse anyway. Measure out 1 cup of quinoa and place into a strainer. Rinse thoroughly with cold water for about 2 minutes, rubbing the quinoa while rinsing, then drain and put in pot. Add in 2 cups of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Next, lower the heat to the lowest settings and cover for about 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up, remove the pot of quinoa from heat and let stand for about 3-5 minutes, still covered. Remove the lid, and at this point there should be tiny spirals separating and curling around the quinoa, which is the germ. Fluff the quinoa gently with a fork.
3. Cook the ground turkey with 1tsp of cumin (almost completely cooked) then drain the liquid.
4. Cut each bell pepper in half starting from the stem (length wise), and remove all of the seeds.
5. Line baking dish with thin layer of sauce or oil, then place the 6 bell pepper halves.
6. In a large bowl, mix in the turkey meat, cooked quinoa, tomatoes, black beans cilantro, chili powder, pepper, and salt.
7. Stuff the peppers with the mixture, then add tomato sauce on top (and cheese on top also if using, otherwise if using avocado leave to the side)
8. Cover dish with foil, and bake for about 40 minutes.
9. Slice the avocado.
10. Once done, add the avocado on top and serve!
- The three main types of quinoa are white red and black. White quinoa has the most neutral flavor so that may be best to start with, but any quinoa works!
- Be careful to cook the turkey just enough, but do not overcook since it will continue to cook in the oven.
- The baking dish can be lined with tomato sauce instead of olive oil if preferred
Quinoa stuffed bell peppers are a simple and great way to add variety to your diet! Quinoa is a complete protein and also high in magnesium, iron, and fiber. It is a fantastic option in place of white rice and pastas. Technically, quinoa is a seed not a grain, but it is used similarly to all other grains and has grown in popularity. Serving these with a side salad or other non-starchy vegetables is the best way to complete the meal. These quinoa stuffed bell peppers are ideal for everyone. Enjoy!
Author: Melissa Conover, Nutritionist